One man's trash...

So, take a look at this beauty - I found it on my walk around the neighborhood the other morning:


I just can't pass by something this classic and gorgeous and not drag it home. I'm thinking that, after a good scrubbing and replacing that handle that's missing on the hot faucet, we may want to use it in our upstairs bathroom when we really renovate it (we've just given it a face-lift for now):

I am not a big fan of vanities (I'd rather have a pedestal sink and a small piece of furniture), and even though we reinvented ours to be a little more unique and our style, I still would like to have something a bit less bulky. Now that I found that sink on the side of the road, I'm thinking about something along these lines:

I like that it's airy, and we actually have a leftover marble slab from the downstairs bathroom, so this could totally work.

And I already have a pair of old crates for extra storage:

Add to that the already painted black clawfoot tub we have stashed in Bill's Dad's garage, paired with pretty marble hexagonal tile on the floor, like so, and I think we're onto something:

And I kind of like this idea, since we don't have enough room for a separate shower in our bathroom either:

But it looks like it may be way too expensive for us, though.

Plus, I don't know if I'd be able to resist playing with extra long fabric for a shower curtain, or maybe even something frilly and girly like this little Anthropologie number:

(images: 1. & 2. yours truly, 3. via cottage living, 4. via real simple, 5. via design*sponge, 6. via down and out chic, 7. via antropologie)

Comments

  1. I love when you are just walking along and find a great treasure! Your bathroom plans sound great. We did something similar when we renovated our bathroom and built a simple table without a top (our salvaged sink was a bit different than the one you found) and it works great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely yes to that black-painted tub. I love the black. I can't tell what's going on in the shower photo that would be too expensive -- is it the shower head? Is there something else there that replaces the curtain?

    Do you paint the sink or do you have another trick for getting it white again? We have two that need to be made pretty.

    How the heck you carry that all the way home with boy child and Lena in tow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cate, answers:
    *the picture that has what's (probably) too expensive an item has glass surrounding the shower area... (I've heard people complain about clawfoot tubs being a little bit claustrophobic - and that would be a way of dealing with that). But then I'd have to clean the glass compulsively, too... Heh. I'm really leaning heavily against it, I think! :)
    *the sink needs to be resurfaced if after you clean it, you're not satisfied - hire a professional (like we did with our downstairs tub)
    *I rushed back home, put everyone in the car and drove over to get it, that's how. ;)
    xoxo,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bona fide crush on those old sink stoppers. The feel of the rubber in the drain, the clinking of that chain, oooh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!

    visiting your blog for the first time and I feel great! Wonderful mirror you got.

    Hugs Pia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, love the anthro curtain. Excellent find on the sink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i want a black tub!! we don't even have a tub, just a stupid shower stall. boo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like you already have everything you need to redo your bathroom! clawfoot tub mmm. can't wait till i don't live in rentals with tiny ugly bathrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are totally on to something...love the black tub and the shower idea...and the sink--wow! i love how ambitious you are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just do it! Classy/modern floors with that clawfoot tub and the crates and the new scrubbed sind. Can't wait for those pictures! Hug!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you drug a sink home and I love, love, love the black tub! All of your ideas are awesome!....I have been dreaming of that shower curtain forever now......and target has a similar copy for much cheaper....if you are interested! :)

    have a great week...I'll check back in when I get back from NY.....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS OLD SINK! It´s soooo beautiful! I have fallen in love for today!
    My sink in my bathroom is an old one too...I´ve found it 20 years ago at the streets in the bulky waste. I will never take it away!
    Sunny greetings from germany, geisslein

    ReplyDelete
  13. maria-your bathroom's gonna look awesome! i never would have thought to pick up the sink on the side of the road. again, how resourceful you are! the clawfoot tub with the frilly curtain will be lovely for a soak or a shower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Maria, The painted black clawfoot tub really caught my eye. It's quite striking. The shower curtain reminds me of a duvet cover I've had my eye on. Your ideas are very peaceful and elegant, yet comfortable enough for everyday living. I hope you saw my response re: pottery and I hope you give it a try. -Denise

    ReplyDelete
  15. I prefer pedestal sinks, too, but we may end up doing a vanity in our master bath if only because we really loved one we saw at Ikea of all places. Fingers crossed we can get started on the renovations this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow...I don't think you could go wrong with any of these. you are really good...did you know that? xo t

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Know that I appreciate your thoughts, even if I may not always get the chance to reply. Thanks again!