Photo shoot!

Okay, my dears, I'm sorry it's taken me this long to get back into the swing of things, but here you have it: what kept me busy and happy last week was that Better Homes & Gardens was here to photograph our kitchen and bath!!!

I had such a great time..! And I can't say enough kind things about the team that came over to the house. Sandi, the field editor/stylist, was wonderful. She was funny, considerate, and has been doing this for some time, so she had an amazing ability to anticipate how the vignettes would look like on film (which, surprisingly to me, is quite different from how they might look in real life, both color- and composition-wise).

She was also incredibly patient with my constant questions and requests to move things or try this or that instead, and she even let me style a little (!!), which was not only incredibly generous of her, but also made me realize how much fun styling is...!

Brie, the photographer, was incredible - it was truly a gift to see my house come to life through her eyes. She is ridiculously talented and I encourage you to visit her site here. You will not be disappointed.

And then there was Mike, who helped Brie with everything from technical issues to (I kid you not) holding our ficus tree outside the window so that our neighbor's somewhat messy back porch would be hidden from view. He was, needless to say, indispensable.

I wish I had captured a shot of him holding up the tree..! Unfortunately, I didn't, but here are a few pictures I took that I hope you'll enjoy and will help give you a sense of what a chaotic scene it can be right outside the camera frame when you are doing a photo shoot...

The pretties - cake and raspberries on a beautiful stand, and gorgeous tulips in an ironstone pitcher (pay no attention to the surrounding madness).

The not so pretty chaos.

Lovely Brie at work, secretly wishing walls and kitchen islands would be more helpful and move out of the way so that she could do her job more easily.

Gear. Tons and tons of cool gear.

The camera resting on its tripod while things were being set up.

More contortions from poor Brie to get just the right shot.

Sandi inspecting the shot and making mental notes about which things would need to be moved one or two inches this way or that, and such.

Mike and Brie working on the camera's focus in a rather tight space (again, if the house's walls would be a bit more cooperative and flexible..!)

Highly technical gear - not to be confused with the Ikea Komplement basket.

Sandi, with Mike standing by, studying the shot, and getting ready to call it a day. And what a wonderful couple of days they were..!

If you guys (Sandi, Brie and Mike) happen to be reading this: I had the best time. The house felt a little bit empty after you left... Thank you for your generosity and the privilege of allowing me to watch you work. I feel like I learned a ton and I have renewed love and sense of commitment for design.

The magazine is called Kitchen & Bath Makeovers, a quarterly publication of Better Homes & Gardens. Sandi thought the kitchen would be featured in the Spring issue, perhaps on the cover (eeeeeeep!!) and the bath might be published in a later issue. I can't wait to see them in print!

(images: me)

Comments

  1. WOW Maria- how thrilling! having already seen your kitchen and bath here on your blog i know how beautiful they are, but i can't wait to see them in the magazine after they have worked their magazine magic. congratulations! robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, congratulations Maria - what a wonderful experience for you. It's all very familiar to me - and I know it's exciting to see the process and to glimpse all the work that goes on to show a story in a magazine. it's a big job isn't it. I knew your house was awesome.
    You asked about the old window in the party shot I posted - we put an old window between our living room and great room - opened the space right up and I love it! Perfect for parties and just keeping an eye on Midge - aka Lily. We had to take the old glass out after having Lily - it's so thin and fragile. I'm not a fan of closed off rooms and big bare walls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!
    How exciting, can't wait to see the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAHHH - HOW EXCITING AND GREAT!!!!!! I am so happy for you now! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria, that is FANTASTIC!!! I get goose bumps just reading about it. You must be over the moon excited! And I am so excited for you!

    Spring - come quickly!

    Cyber hug, OX Mon

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH.MY.GOD! That is beyond cool. Its frozen! They sure picked a beautiful kitchen and bath to use in their magazine, and I think it will make a great cover! hip hip hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Maria that is sooooooooo exciting!!!!!!!! How awesome to be published! What an honor too...even your bathroom is magazine worthy!!

    Can't wait to see the issue now! Yeah!

    Love your kitchen!!!!!

    :) T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria-
    Congrats to you! That is such exciting news. The photoshoot looks like so much fun and I love the story about the ficus. I can't wait to see your house in print either, so definitely keep us updated!
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  9. eeeeeeeek....I knew it! I'm so thrilled for you! everything looks like so much fun .....and so fantastic!

    I looked at the photographers site.....yowsa!....she is a talented girl! I absolutely cannot wait to see the finished photos, and the COVER.....you go girl......that is amazing!!

    wonderful stuff my friend! CONGRATS!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sooooo happy I stumbled onto your blog this morning! What inspiration! You have a lovely home...and I can't wait to see it on the pages of a magazine! It is truly spectacular...you have an amazing talent! ~mary~ vintagehomeandgarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats, so well deserved!!!! I love the "behind the scenes" captures you have here ~ and WOW, Brie Williams is an amazing photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, hooray! All of your hard work paid off :) That must be truly rewarding. I can only imagine that this photo shoot and publication is going to mean more great things for you!

    Your kitchen is really a special one.

    XO,
    Jacci

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow! WOW! That is so great Maria! Your house looks beautiful so of course it should be in a magazine and the cover too!!! Congrats. This is so cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesomeness in the extreme! How cool! I can't wait to see the photos in print. Be sure to keep us posted about publishing dates and such. I will mention that it makes me feel good to know the pictures in mags are 'staged' and not reality for most of us :o) Although your kitchen would still be gorgeous with dirty dishes stacked to the ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH MY GOODNESS!!!! that is AWESOME! how exciting! i am not surprised, though...i feel like i am already looking at a Better Homes and Gardens magazine everytime i read your blog! please do keep us posted! i can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so exciting! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been following your blog for few weeks now, and I have to say that both your kitchen and bath are so inspirational!!! Congratulations on the photo shoot! I don't personally know you , but I think your style is so down to earth and beautiful! Congratulations again!!!

    Chiara

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh, how hectic all that must have been for you! Your house looks super, even with all that techie stuff thrown about. I hope that wonderful cake wasn't a prop and you got to eat it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow! How exciting! What a wonderful way for all your hard work come together!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is so great! Your home is amazingly gorgeous so it doesn't surprise me at all. Congratulations! I can't wait to see all the final shots.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG darlin! That is just frickin fantastic! congratulations and I can NOT wait to see it! On the cover maybe? WOW! Your home is so incredibly lovely hun and so well deserved! YAY!
    xo
    Melis

    ReplyDelete
  22. Better Homes and Gardens! How exciting! You have to remind us when it comes out (notice how I just assume we'll still be bloggy buds by then; I'm loyal that way).
    I love your home. That cozy nook by the window is perfect. So glad LPC directed me to your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  23. woweeeeeeee! how exciting. like BH&G goes to "regular" people's homes?? so cool. your home is truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. that is amazing!! your house is so beautiful... i dream of living in a craftsman style house one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my God. This is FABULOUS!!! How awesome. And thanks for the behind-the-scenes...so interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. So so sooo cool! Congrats! The house is great and deserves to be seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How cool! no wonder! You kitchen is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome, awesome, awesome. Love a chance at a behind the scenes look too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm not at all surprised. I cannot wait to see your home in this publication. PLEASE let us all know when we should head to the magazine racks in our local bookstores! Of course you'd help with styling...you were born to style!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations, Maria! I am so happy for you! Your home is so gorgeous, I am sure it will be featured in many magazines. I can not wait to see the results. I am sure it will be great to see your home through someone else's eyes. Seems like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  31. so cool to see how the pros do it! thanks for sharing these behind the scenes moments! and congrats on your lovely home being featured, maria.
    xo jill

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so so excited for you and delighted you enjoyed the process. But, most of all, I just can't wait to see the photos!

    Congratulations Maria!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh how fun!!! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I bet you felt like you died and went to decor heaven! WHat an AWESOME compliment to you and your abilities! CONGRATULATIONS! I'm excited for you and can't wait to see the mag! Just wondering...just recently www.theletteredcottage.net was shot for a mag and they sent props and a stylists and stuff. Did BHG do that too?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, congrats! on the feature! That's amazing--and so deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations! That is fantastic and well deserved. Your house is a magical place, it has a history that shines through while reflecting your present beautiful sense of style. Can't wait to see it all in print!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations! That is so exciting. It's my secret dream to have our house photographed by a magazine one day.

    ReplyDelete
  38. How thrilling! Thanks for taking us behind the scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  39. How exciting and fun! I swear I have that exact cake stand? The one on the bottom here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessnichols/3704085573/

    Anyway it all looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  40. crazy week last week and i totally missed this....congrats congrats congrats!!!!
    i am sooooo happy for you
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a great experience! I can imagine how fun it was to watch the team do their work and to help out a little. Styling a home for a photo shoot has got to be one of the best jobs ever! Congrats, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  42. oh my goodness. saw these at work the other day and couldn't gush. so here's a healthy dose now! so very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  43. my mom and my grandmother are going to flip!!! i can't wait to tell them! congrats! xoxo so so exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. how cool is this! look getting to see behind the scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  45. how exciting maria!! congratulations!!! can't wait to see your beautiful space in print!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  46. THE COVER!!!! i am screaming! i cannot wait to see the final photographs...thank you so much for sharing all the wonderful excitement with us...xo t

    ReplyDelete
  47. maria! such incredible news. i've been out of the blog loop since thanksgiving and am just trying to squeeze a few minutes in here and there. i've missed this milestone, and am sending you such congrats! xoxo, k

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Know that I appreciate your thoughts, even if I may not always get the chance to reply. Thanks again!