The den (revisited) and dining room peek

So, we were busy with house projects this weekend (enter Bill's sigh and roll of the eyes here, because this usually involves him standing high on a ladder, holding something heavy, and me going, "A little more to the right. No, no - a smidgen to the left. Okay, can you go a little to the right now?" and so on and so forth).

Although I was excited to have curtains up in the den a couple of weeks ago, I was not really that happy with the overall result, I realized. Something was bugging me. The room was too busy and loud (visually speaking), especially for a space where we spend a lot of our time. I knew I liked all of the individual parts, I just wasn't sure I liked them all together.

For instance, I knew I loved the couch and chair with the denim slipcovers because I can wash them, and like a good pair of jeans, they hide dirt fairly well and they only get better with time. I liked the new curtains, too. I liked the rug and the new little pillow that looks like a flower (or fish scales, if you ask Bill).


And I love the color blue, but the one in the ceiling was killing me - it was too decisively blue, and nothing made it more apparent than adding more blue with those curtains. I like colors that are more indefinite, that live in gray areas (and I mean that metaphorically, yes, but also quite literally: gray is one of my favorite hues).

I actually never intended for the blue on that ceiling to be so intense to begin with - it was supposed to be the same bluish gray as on the kitchen ceiling, but I think the mix got botched somehow and I didn't notice the mistake until I had already painted the entire ceiling. By that point, I was just too tired to redo it, so I left it as it was. Very blue. With blue slipcovers and now curtains with blue accents. A little too much blueness for me.

So, even though I liked the new curtains, I just did not like them in this room. I decided to take them down and brought in white curtains I had in the guest bedroom. And I also decided I had lived with the loud blue of the ceiling long enough - so I painted it a soothing gray instead. (I believe the name is Winter White, by Benjamin Moore).


I think our dog, Lena (Lay-nah) Bean, approves. Or, as we affectionately refer to her, The Bean. Yes, I think The Bean approves.


And now, instead of pattern and jarring color, we have visual peace and quiet, which suits my personality and makes me very happy.

And so, you may be wondering, what did I do with the curtains that were in the den? Well, I put them in the dining room, which of course meant I had to change the wall color there too. Heh. It's yet another shade of gray, only on the taupe side this time. It's very soothing and calming, too.

I actually now need to go get two more panels because there are three windows in the dining room, so I'll have to show you pictures when all the curtains are up. And I also want to paint the ceiling in here. It's a disease, I know - but these kinds of projects bring me such joy..!

And we also started setting up the office upstairs this weekend (Bill's rolling of the eyes is not for naught). But I'll save that for a later post.

**Paint colors: den's walls, Woodrow Wilson Putty (6006-1A), at Lowes; den's ceiling, Winter White (OC-21) by Benjamin Moore; dining room walls, Taupe Stone (SR304), at Lowes.**

(images: me)

Comments

  1. It looks so fantastic and you are right it is all very calming and inviting!

    Love the curtains in your dining room and the light fixture is awesome! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. your house is so calm and inviting...it just makes me want to clean, clean, clean up my house :)
    love the pic of your pillows
    and how great is your dog????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both rooms look amazing with the switch! I love the paint colours you chose, so relaxing and inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love what you've done to the den and the dining room. you must have been busy with all of the re-doing, but the results are fantastic. the rooms look very serene and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I found my way over here via your kitchen remodel on Design*Sponge...and I think I've found my new favorite blog! I just love your style...combining old + new is exactly how I love to decorate.

    And I'm loving that pendant lamp over your (awesome!) dining room table. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary,

    So glad you found your way over here...! And thanks for the kind comments!
    I can't remember exactly where I got the lamp, but I know I got it online... Maybe here:

    http://www.csnlighting.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=TL2402&csnpt=SS19-TL2402&SSAID=198698&refid=SS198698&df=1

    Anyway... I hope to some day actually replace it with the real thing - an old industrial/barn/gas station light...but for now, it has done its job pretty well. :)

    Thanks again for stopping by!
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, Maria -- I'm looking for one to hang over our dining room table. Like you, I'd love the real thing...but getting my husband to even agree to this was a feat. ha!

    I am off to check out that link now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry. Typos all over the place the first time around...
    You're so welcome. The dimensions and look are exactly like ours, if that helps (we just don't use such a big light bulb).
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looked perfect before and I don't know how you do it but now it looks MORE PERFECT.

    Except for Lena of course who couldn't be more perfect if she tried.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did I miss photos of your den before?? When I was looking at the photos with the printed IKEA curtains, I liked the room but it didn't seem like it fit in with the kitchen. Changing the curtains was just what it needed! Now it all flows so nicely. Spot on :)

    I was excited to see that you had denim furniture, too. Our isn't going to make it much longer (4 children using it as a pretend diving board - what can I say? Ohio has long winters!), but it's sooo encouraging to see these photos and get a visual for what a difference the white curtains will make in our living room. Oh, if I could just have 1 uninterrupted week to work non-stop with an unlimited budget and endless energy!!! :)

    It looks great, Maria. And, remember, just let me know if you want to widen your margins and enlarge the pics!

    Jacci

    ReplyDelete
  12. we have always had denim couches and loved them, but i love the thought of denim slipcovers so that they can be washed. where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely room. Can you your paint colors for each of the rooms? Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Know that I appreciate your thoughts, even if I may not always get the chance to reply. Thanks again!