The democratization of design

Now, I realize the article I will be referring to dates back to 2006. Let me just say by way of lame disclaimer that at the time, I was in the vortex known as stay-at-home-motherhood-to-a-young-and-active-toddler and quite frankly, I was unable to do much that would require me to focus for more than say, the distance (in time) between a spill, a fall, and a diaper in need of immediate attention. At any rate, back to the topic suggested by the title - I am very happy to have found this, even if it took me a little while.


Recently, I've been thinking that...well, maybe I want to be an interior designer and pursue this dream, right? I mean, that was part of the purpose behind this blog: exploring the idea of design and maybe getting some insights into how I could fit it into my life and make it work.

School (at least full-time) is out of the question because, financially, it just does not make sense for us, unfortunately. And so then (here is where I was getting stuck) I couldn't figure out how I would go about marketing myself or even charging for my work, since I don't technically have the degree. I mean, I have my house to show, but that's probably far from a presentable portfolio. Or so I thought.

Well, you know how sometimes your brain goes around and around in circles for a long time without finding any clarity...? And then, you talk to a friend or (ahem) read an article that's three years old, and suddenly the blinding light of clarity (quite literally) smacks you right in the face - and you're...jubilant?!

It was thanks to this article that I had that kind of moment as I read about Cheryl Guibone, a woman who redid her whole house and began doing freelance work after "people started asking if she would consult on the paint choice for an entry hall or give an opinion on how vintage chrome chairs might mix with an 18th-century dining table."

This is what Guibone had to say in the article: "Not everyone can afford the high high end....I'm not a high-end decorator, nor would I ever pretend to be. But there is room in this business for people like me." And I thought: but of course. So reasonable. And better yet - that could be me. Forget comparing yourself to someone who was schooled in design... You would be a decorator....or a design consultant, perhaps? Maybe different in some ways, but quite similar in spirit and ultimately, delivery. And with a much more reasonable price tag.

And I know that none of this is news, but I guess it took me reading this article to see it as a real possibility. It's funny how that kind of stuff works.

The article goes on to say that, "Unlike traditional interior designers, who work on commission, [Guibone] charges by the hour, and her clients pay her sources directly for any furniture, fabric or wallcoverings." So all I would really need to figure out would be my hourly rate...and then get the guts to put myself out there, of course. No simple feat, but hey... When I am ready to take that next step, it will be a lot easier to do it with some clarity. That's for sure.

Anyway. Much more to ponder and many more specifics to figure out, but it's a starting point of sorts.

(image: brie williams)

Comments

  1. Well then, GO FOR IT! Congratulations on your clarity and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would be fantastic at this. It never hurts to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've let similar thoughts sneak into my mind for mere quickly evaporating moments. I think you would be wonderful at this. Funny coming from someone who does not know you, but you have a wonderfully easy way about you. I think your writing style is lovely and you come across as such a smart cookie. I hope you go for it and when you do, know that you are welcome to hang your shingle in my spot of the blogosphere. Any.Time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No doubt. Now, that I have looked at all of your rooms and wish there were more to peruse...:) I would say you are exactly that kind of decorator and I myself would pay you to help me were I in need of help. No doubt....I sure hope you go for it because you are so very talented!
    xo
    Melis
    ps every single room is incredibly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading this post. You articulated beautifully. I actually have a very similar reasons why I started my blog. I also find many similarities with you. I love that! I also love interior design, but I can't write about it on my blog all the time, and I have a mishmash of several topics including interior design. What you've achieved is very inspiring to me. Thanks for sharing this with us. xo Kaho

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Know that I appreciate your thoughts, even if I may not always get the chance to reply. Thanks again!