Work in progress


Remodeling the main floor bathroom: check.

Remodeling the kitchen: check.

Remodeling the upstairs bathroom... Well, we've only given it a budget-friendly facelift for now.


















I do have to say I am pretty pleased with the results. As an aesthetic courtesy to you and me, I will abstain from including pictures of the ugly plastic tub/shower enclosure that is blocking a window (??!!!), currently on the end wall of the bathroom. Some day, we will install a clawfoot tub and beautiful light will stream in from that poor, abused window. Until then...well.

These are some of the improvements we've made so far.... We resurfaced the vanity, which is an old, non-descript, pressed wood lovely. We covered the sides with beadboard, cut same-sized drawer fronts out of 8x1 wood planks, added glass knobs, and took out the middle door and sewed a little curtain to hide cleaning supplies and toiletries.


We also added baseboard to the bottom of the vanity and replaced the old countertop with pine wood planks (already glued together, from Lowe's), which we coated with walnut stain and poly. We dropped in a Kohler sink and invested on a new faucet (ebay), and also added vintage tin tile for a backsplash (more ebay). We were happy that the antique metal medicine cabinet, which we inherited from our previous old house, fit right in with our new old house.


















We removed another one of those added-on closets with bi-fold doors (which was partially covering the window you see here), and of course we painted the walls. Oh, and we hung a beautiful old leaded-glass window to add some character...and because I love old, chippy things - the more decrepit, the better.


Overall, I am very happy with our little bathroom. Of course, there is always room for improvement, but that will have to wait for now. In the meantime, I will be looking at tons of photographs of bathrooms for inspiration... Stay tuned, and let me know what you think!

Comments

  1. love the vintage tin tile backsplash and the old leaded-glass window. it is amazing to think that anyone would choose to obstruct natural light. free those windows : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. all in due time. but yes, freeing the windows is certainly on the list. thanks for stopping by...
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across your blog today but I just wanted to say that I LOVE that window, and I can already imagine how lovely that clawfoot tub will look in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you bathroom facelift is just charming. the clawfoot tub at the end with a window will be beautiful. Isn't it great to dream?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the color of the "pesky bi-fold doors". Can you let me know? Love your house. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria - the color is Silver Sea, and you can get it at Lowe's. Thanks for stopping by..!

    -maria

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Know that I appreciate your thoughts, even if I may not always get the chance to reply. Thanks again!