The house

This is what the house looked like when we bought it. It did have a cool gargoyle on the front porch, but sadly, it did not convey. Even more devastating was the fact that someone had removed (??!!) most of the craftsman details, down to the decorative brackets under the eaves. That was one of the first things we tried to correct soon after we moved in (see picture below).

As far as painting, though...that was a different story. For whatever reason we thought we'd attempt to paint the exterior ourselves. Admirable goal, really, but what with all the projects inside (see here or here for a couple of examples), and the kid, and our jobs, and....well. Not particularly realistic. As a result, our house looked pretty much like this for two long years, and I'm sure the neighbors were just thrilled:














In the end, we decided to invest on hiring a professional. In fact, we ended up having to hire two sets of painters, since the first guys were completely inept AND ran off with half the money, but...I digress.

Anyway, once we found a real professional, I became paralyzed by the idea of having to commit to a color scheme. I couldn't just paint it over if I changed my mind (like I have done with most rooms inside the house - heh), so I was gripped with indecision. I worried about the fact that I was leaning toward using (*gasp*) five different colors. Although I am not a big fan of the monochromatic look the house had when we moved in, I had to admit that it was safe. And I like safe. I'm not much of a risk-taker when it comes to design and color in my own space. I am happy to report however, that I love the way the house turned out.















We even have a new little gargoyle resident to replace the one that moved out with the previous owners.










Pretty sweet.


(ps: the little gargoyle came courtesy of my dear friends, Tom and Kelly, who run a store in Asheville, NC, called Oddfellows Antique Wharehouse. It is filled with beautiful antiques and found objects mostly from England. Next time you're in the Western North Carolina mountains, you should stop by and take a look!)

Comments

  1. ohhhhh....lovely before and AFTER!
    can't wait to look through every entry of your blog. I'll be adding you to my favorites right away.
    thanks for stopping by the wingo blog!
    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it! good call on removing the shutters. oh, and your bedroom is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just found your blog and I'm loving your house! I love craftsmen style and good to see you bring your house back to its roots!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the red door! the before and after's are great! i already checked out your kitchen...love it. came across your blog and for sure will be posting about it on my mine..great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Craftsman style houses are my favorite and you've done a beautiful job restoring it's features. I just hopped over here from Design Sponge and I'm looking forward to digging through your archives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful house! The color you chose suits it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your current house. The color and all the trees in front of the house are nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello neighbor! I have just found your blog and thought I should offer a cyber handshake and let you know that gargoyles are also available on the Biltmore Estate. I have an old one that was discarded from there for extensive damage but he sits proudly on my porch. I also have a newer one that I purchased on the estate in a shop. Welcome to the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. personally, i love the gargoyle. lol. kidding.

    i'd LOVE to do something to the exterior of our home. it's so...blah. beige and white. boxy. side split. blah.

    our double car garage is right smack dab on the front of the house. it makes our house look like a rabbit with bucked teeth (as bizarre as that sounds, it's totally true).

    so, revamping the exterior is certainly on my bucket list. someday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Know that I appreciate your thoughts, even if I may not always get the chance to reply. Thanks again!